Schoolhouse in the Florida pines

Gretna Schoolhouse | Gadsden County FLORIDA | c. early 1900s

In its early development, this land was nothing more than a crossroads of piney woods and a new track of rail. By the 1890s, settlers were steadily arriving from the Carolinas and in 1897, a settlement was established here at Gretna.

The town was platted in 1905 and in 1908, the land for the school was deeded to the School Board by the Humphrey & Mahaffey Families. This building would serve to teach through Junior High grades until 1935.

It has since been used as a clinic, community center, Shriner's Club, and church hall.

Group of students and principal pose for a photo at the schoolhouse c. 190? - Photo courtesy of the  Florida Memory Project

Group of students and principal pose for a photo at the schoolhouse c. 190? - Photo courtesy of the Florida Memory Project

Turn of the century turpentine operation in Gretna- Photo Courtesy of the  Florida Memory Project

Turn of the century turpentine operation in Gretna- Photo Courtesy of the Florida Memory Project


Free Photos & Stories in your inbox every time we update the site!